Expanding Access for Foster Children
Pathways LA joins in partnership with Child Care Alliance of Los Angeles (CCALA) in a launch of the new Emergency Child Care Bridge Program for Foster Children (Bridge Program). This is a new State funded program administered through the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) and the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).
The new Bridge Program is a time-limited program designed to increase the number of foster children successfully placed in home-based family care settings, increase capacity of child care programs to meet the needs of foster children in their care, and maximize funding to support the child care needs of eligible families.
There are three components to the Bridge Program:
Resource & Referral agencies throughout Los Angeles County will house child care navigators to assist eligible foster care resource families with:
- Finding a child care provider,
- Securing a subsidized child care placement,
- Completing child care program applications, and
- Developing a plan for long-term child care appropriate to the child’s age and needs
Eligible families may receive a time-limited child care voucher to help pay for child care costs for foster children birth trough age 5 and their siblings. This also includes foster children with special needs up to age 21.
- Referrals to the Bridge Program must be made through the resource family’s Children Social Worker at DCFS
- Vouchers will be approved for an initial period of up-to six months extension
- The Resource parents will work with a Navigator to locate an appropriate child care placement for the child
Child care programs engaged in the Bridge Program will receive access to trauma-informed care training and coaching. Topics of the training include, but are not limited to:
- Infant and toddler developmentResearch-based,
- Trauma-informed best care practices
Child care providers will also receive access to coaching to assist them in applying training curriculum and learn strategies for working with children in foster care
Contact Pathways LA for more information on the referral process for the Bridge Program, and join our mailing list in the footer below to stay up to date on Bridge Program training and workshops which are always free to attend for child care professionals.
The Pathways LA Bridge Program is a partnership with Child Care Alliance Los Angeles.