CalWORKs Recipients Qualify for Immediate Child Care Assistance Enroll Now


We get a lot of questions about being a Pathways LA provider, so we’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions here for easy reference.

For anything related to payments, visit our Provider Payments page.

If you have any further questions, please contact our Resource & Referral specialists at 213-427-2700 for more help! 


Pathways LA does not employ child care providers nor their staff. Child care providers are private, independent contractors. 

There are two different types of licensed-exempt child care: 

  • Licensed-Exempt Relative: Eligible License-Exempt Relatives are the grandmother, grandfather, aunt or uncle of the child by blood or by marriage. A licensed-exempt relative must provide proof of the relationship by submitting documentation for verification, such as a birth certificate or marriage license.
  • Licensed-Exempt Non-Relative (TrustLine Providers): Eligible License-Exempt Non-Relatives are adults who care for an unrelated child. The State of California does not consider siblings, great grandparents, great aunts/uncles or cousins as relatives for this purpose. These providers must register as TrustLine providers and may only provide child care services for one family.

  • Licensed Child Care Centers: Child Care Centers are licensed and overseen by the California Community Care Licensing Board (CCL). Centers offer physical, social, developmental and educational activities for groups of children of different ages. State regulations specify staff size, educational requirements, and health and safety standards. All staff must be certified free of any serious criminal history. These centers may be operated by public or private agencies, including churches.
  • Licensed Family Child Care Homes: Family Child Care Homes (FCCH) are also licensed and overseen by the CCL. They are operated in private homes and are subject to inspection. There are two license types in this provider category: Small and Large. Small FCCH may care for up to eight children. Large FCCH are required to employ a full-time assistant and may care for up to 14 children. State regulations specify health and safety standards for both the provider and the provider’s home. The provider and all persons age 18 and older in the home must be certified free of any serious criminal history.

In order to obtain a Family Child Care Home License you must:

  1. Attend a Family Child Care Home orientation presented by Community Care Licensing
  2. Complete the three requisite safety courses and submit the Family Child Care Home application to Community Care Licensing. Reimbursement for course fees may be available. 
  3. Submit LiveScan fingerprinting, immunizations and Tuberculosis (TB) skin test for each person over age 18 living in the home. 
  4. Pass a home inspection by Community Care Licensing.

Through the CCIP program we offer free technical assistance, including home visits, to help you prepare your home for the inspection visit. We may also be able to provide you with financial support for fees involved with licensing as well as equipment and supplies that you will need. Pathways LA can provide support every step of the way. Learn more here.

As an alternative to your Social Security Number, you can use your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead. 

Yes, California state law gives renters the right to operate a licensed family child care home. 

We provide free workshops on a variety of topics related to child development and learning, business management, licensing regulations, and health, safety and nutrition.

We also assist providers who want to extend the capacity of their license, and provide opportunities for networking with other child care providers. Learn more here

When parents request child care referrals from us, we provide them with a list of providers from our Child Care Referral Database based on the parameters that they have selected.

The list of referrals is randomized and automatically generated by the database system based on the zip codes requested by the parents.

If you would like to be listed in our Child Care Provider Referral Database, please bring or send us a copy of your license and provide us information regarding your program. 

Pathways LA offers trainings and professional development opportunities to license-exempt and licensed child care providers and their staff in our service area.

Topics include child development, business development, children with special needs and more. Learn more about Pathways LA training and coaching opportunities here.